Monday, April 19, 2010

A Rant That I Am Sure Everyone Will Not Agree With

First of all, I try to keep my politics out of this blog as much as I can. I know that a lot of people don't agree with me on things, and so I usually just feel that this is not the place. However, when I see someone else using their blog as a platform in a way that offends me, I have to respond.
Last night I was reading a blog, I won't share which one. And I cam across this image on the sidebar.

Do You....

Now what offends me is not the image, but the words added at the end. I resent, in fact it infuriates me, the implication that because we have different opinions I do not stand for the family. Excuse me, but I am a damn good mother and I love and care for my family just as much as you do yours.

Now, in this instance, the focus is not directly on gay marriage (although that is a part of the issue) but I have seen this type of propaganda used again and again in that fight.

I have news about this issue...gay families are not out to destroy your family. They are not out to destroy my family either. They just want the freedom to be a family and have the rights of a family.

Anyway, I know that everyone has different opinions and this is a volatile issue. I know that this is going to anger some people. Please know that I respect your opinions, I don't necessarily agree with them, but I respect them. Voltaire said something like, "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." I think that quote is so valuable and worth remembering. However, do not ever think that it is alright to use your opinions to imply that people who disagree with you do not care about families or children. That is unforgivable.

P.S. I have deleted said blog from my favorites and I will never view it again.

8 comments:

  1. i completely agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's such a shame.
    i really agree and like that Voltaire quote you used!!! So true (at least I feel like it is for me and should be for all of us).
    Rgh I get soo annoyed when people start to tear down others. I heard a quote that said something along the lines of gay families are not destroying the covenant of marriage and family, it's the straight families/couples that end in divorce that are. At least the kids of a gay marriage (a happy one of course, I'm sure there are not so happy ones as well...) see a loving family.
    Anywho, sorry if that was long winded and hard to understand, but the main point is that i agree with you! :) sorry that one of your favorite blogs is one you can never visit again. Ick that stinks!
    -kel

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all-I actually love when I can read a post on your politics and beliefs. I know that it starts to get into tricky territory though. Like with me- I don't know when to just shut my fucking mouth.
    It makes me mad when people think like this- it just seems to close minded and naive.
    Look at me! That is not a priority for me; family and children but that doesn't mean that I'm not family oriented. I hang out with my family all the time. Then on the other hand my best friend Rrryan (who is gay) only wants to be married and have two kids.
    Whatevs- people are dumb and brainwashed. Our country used to be so progressive (like decades ago) and now what- I totally feel like we are just going back in time more and more. It really makes me sad.

    On a totally different note I am sooo interested to see the different blogs on your blog roll! You should send me a screen grab of the list. I wonder how many we have in common!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you felt the need to blog about this. I agree with you. I don't understand people who can be against love. Why do they think that they would be better parents that a gay couple? Everyone knows how to love and I'm sure any couple (gay or straight) who wants to adopt a child, they would love that child with all their hearts. I'm glad you posted this!

    xoxo,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  5. agreed... but your last statement at the end there made me feel like an ass. I ALWAYS assume the right wingers don't care about children and families because of their stance on health care. Am I still right? lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so mad at all the people in my neighborhood standing on the street corners with the yes on 8 sign. It is their children that are going to grow up hating gay families which breaks my heart. School is already hard enough for young kids, lets throw in some kids that are going to make fun of you because you have 2 moms. :(. so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i agree completely with you on all points here. some people just infuriate me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's good to know where you stand on issues like this and even better to not let it affect you in any negative sort of way. I know it's really sad that people do actually think so closed minded like this. At least you surround yourself with people who do not :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts on a sensitive subject!

    ReplyDelete