Monday, March 15, 2010

Happy Birthday to my Joyful Boy!

It is hard to believe that the time goes by so fast. It really does seem like only yesterday that he was so small we had a hard time finding clothes to fit him, 5lb 14oz to be exact.

Now he is two years old and 27 pounds of chaos and boy. He is simply the most wonderful person that I have the pleasure of knowing. I can't believe that he came from Josh and I.

Two years ago today, I woke up in the middle of the night with some small contractions. Now, as a little background, I went into labor at 30 weeks. I have a birth defect that left John with too little room, so we were expecting pre-term labor. I was in the hospital for almost a month and on bed rest for like 9 weeks. I went into labor the last time at 34 weeks 6 days, which was one day shy of my 35 week approved birthing goal. So, the nurses stopped the labor. I left the hospital the next day amidst bets about when I would be back. Would I even make it home? Fast forward two weeks and no baby. I was 5 centimeters dilated and nothing was happening, so these contractions were like the biggest blessing known to man.

We went to the hospital and John's heart rate was doing some funky things so they tried to wake him up with this noisemaker on my belly. Then they gave me some sugary juice but nothing worked. So my doctor came in from her jog, the BEST doctor ever but that is another story, and broke my water. A few minutes later she came tearing into the room and stuck her hands in places that are best left alone. John's heart rate had dropped to dangerously low levels. They pushed me out of the triage room and ran down the hall to the OR. It was like something from a tv show, but it was happening to us. I have literally never been so terrified in my life. We didn't know if he was going to make it or even why this was happening. Josh was told he couldn't come into the OR because it was an emergency c-section, so I had to leave my crying husband as they pushed me in. Luckily, when we got to the OR his heart rate stabilized enough that I was able to have a spinal instead of general anaesthesia, so Josh was able to come in. Josh came in and didn't even have time to sit down before we heard the words, "hello little one." John had made it through, we still don't know to this day what happened, and he was beautiful. It was over so fast, probably a matter of 6 minutes from his heart rate dropping until he was born, so I wish I remembered more. His birthday was the most frightening and wonderful days of my life.

Thank you John, for choosing me as a mama and Happy Birthday sweet boy :)


  1. Thank you so much for stopping by the blog and following =) Such a sweet comment, and I'd love to be pen pals as well.

    And that little boy is adorable I could die ♥

    Take care, and have a great week!

  2. awwww time goes by way too fast, dont you wish we could just freeze time? Hope you have a great day!

  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

  4. What a blessed family! It's so wonderful to hear parents express their love for their children, instead of complaining! Happy Birthday!

  5. Oh my goodness! What a story.
    It's nice to meet you pen pal :-)

  6. Your baby boy is the cutest, he looks so happy too ;) I hope you enjoyed your day with him.