Saturday, May 29, 2010

A Happier Post...Finally :)

I really want to thank everyone for their supportive comments on my last post. It is nice to know that people understand and can relate. I think that is one of the things that I like best about the blogging community, there is always someone who can understand your situation. I would also like to say that I am feeling much better emotionally and physically, so I am ready to have a great weekend!

Here is a look at what I have been reading for the last few days.

I saw this one at the library and had to pick it up. The book is a memoir and tells the story of Howard Dully. At 12 he was given a transorbital lobotomy because his stepmother didn't want to deal with him. Dully ended up living in and out of institutions because his stepmother didn't want him at home and there was no other place for him. In the book, Howard shares his journey and talks about getting his life back after so much suffering. He also describes his quest to find out why this was done to him. Once I started this book it was so hard to put it down. It is an emotional story and I really found myself rooting for Howard.

Now I am reading one of my favorites, Abarat by Clive Barker. I can't even really describe this book. It is part fairy tale, part horror, part adventure. It is practically perfect. As a bonus, it is filled with beautiful art that Barker created while writing the story. Look at this stuff...

As usual for Clive Barker, it is dark and mysterious, but also gorgeous and intriguing. I could just look at the pictures if nothing else.
Next I am going to read Bright Shiny Morning by James Frey. I got it from Justine at Here We Go. We are doing a little book swap. I have to send out her copy of Fast Food Nation now that I got her new address.
On a totally different note, I have so many things scheduled for the next few days. I have so much to look forward to :)
Tonight: Josh's best friend is turning 30 and having a big party to celebrate
Sunday: We are having a pool party/BBQ at my mom's. My dad and my sister are even going to go hang out!
Monday: My first playdate with the new playgroup. We are going to be doing some kind of mystery craft. That is right up my alley!
Tuesday: We are going over to Rikki and Tim's for a BBQ! Yay, I am super excited!
Wednesday: I am taking John to his very first movie, Charlotte's Web. Harkins has a summer movie fest for $2.OO per movie. This is the only one I am going to try.
Thursday: Josh has some kind of surprise for me! I am betting it is a massage, but I really have no idea. He is going to go to a bug show with John. How cool is that?
Friday: Our usual playdate with my awesome friend Liz and her two kids.
Wow, it really does look like a lot when it is all written down. Especially for a lady who has been living a pretty solitary life for a while. I am excited about turning over a new leaf and being more social :)
Happy Saturday!
The pictures are from all over internet land

3 comments:

  1. that first book you are reading sounds WONDERFUL.
    im going to have to look into it.. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! I want to be at that bbq! My family is having a dinner together for the weekend but they are eating big ass gross steaks and I'm just not going. I'm sure you guys will be eating lots of awesomeness! I can't wait for you to start all your activities and such. I'm sure you'll have tons and tons to share about it and I am super happy that your feeling like a new person.

    p.s. yeah- I like bruises; especially black eyes. People REALLY don't like when people have a black eye. It's super fun to make people uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so I am going to make an apple cheddar galette for snacky time. daiya cheddar cheese, breaburn apples and yumminess! bring your appetite lady friend!

    ReplyDelete