Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Toymaking

Ok, so I am looking at the picture below and it doesn't look like John has any shortage of toys :) I actually just did another sweep today and cleaned up, paired down and stored toys that he doesn't use daily. I got rid of his toy box, as I realized that he never actually looks inside of it. I put toys and some musical toys on his shelves and hid some other things in a tote, to be used when he is bored and needs something new. In addition, we made some awesome new handmade toys today. The first is a cardboard tractor that I have been envisioning in my head for about 2 months. It still needs some fine tuning, but John is VERY happy with his scoop tractor :)
Here he is lifting the scoop to dump some blocks into his tractor box.

Tuesday is Daddy/John day. They don't usually spend the whole entire day doing something, but today they did. They ended up building father and son toolboxes. Sweetest thing ever ;) I even burned their initials into the finished products.



I got this idea from another mom's awesome blog, found here. Since I don't have any money, I can't afford to buy her families lovely cars. I do have a whole shop out back, so we produced our own. It actually does drive and roll!!!
That same blog had an awesome stacking toy made out of wood. My dad and I cut out the little pieces and I drilled the holes while my dad fastened dowel rods into the big base piece. Now John can work on stacking and unstacking and using dexterity. I think he is really going to like these, and as a bonus, he can also use them as threading beads on hemp twine that I have.
Here is to making my own toys and seeing things turn out well :)

5 comments:

  1. haha I was just going to say that those look like good threading beads! You're so awesome Katie! You should burn numbers and letters into his blocks too. They pick up on those things so naturally :)

    FYI, I've got 1/2 a sheet of hardboard in my garage that's been waiting for a home. Let me know if you need it for something crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are the coolest most incredible people!!! That tractor and all of the wood toys are so amazing!!!
    You inspire me!!!
    xoxox!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is seriously awesome! Love the daddy/john day pics! And what they made and what you made?!??! Seriously. Amazing! I love how your mind works!!! Those are some awesome toys! Can my boys come over and play???? =)
    You're brilliant, girl!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh! I wish this kind of living would seep into my sisters head. That's all she does is buy her kids toys (and then bitch about how 'broke' they are!).
    There are more toys at my parents house for the kids then shown in your photo of where you live!
    You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that scoop truck and wood cars. Nice work mama!

    ReplyDelete